How to Clean Laminate Floors
"Less Water is Best"
Cleaning your laminate floors is a breeze with the right mop and cleaner.
The best mop to use is a Microfiber Mop. When purchasing your mop, buy extra pads for the specific mop you choose. These pads can be removed and cleaned either by hand or in your washing machine. Do not use any form of fabric softener when cleaning/drying the mop head pads or towels you use for cleaning your floor.
Use a quality laminate floor cleaner for general maintenance. Bona makes a good cleaner that can be found at home improvements stores.
- Dry mop with your microfiber mop OR use a vacuum on the "wood floors" setting.
- Spray the cleaning solution to the mop pad and clean your floor.
Although laminates are stain resistant, the surface may occasionally stain. To remove stains using a type of solvent, i.e mineral spirits, acetone or paint thinner, will remove surface stains caused from sodas, wines, oil, grease, gum and others. After using product to remove stain there will be a slight haze on the floor that you must use a dry terry cloth and buff out.
- Do not use a vacuum with a beater bar because it can scratch the laminate floor.
- Refrain from damp mopping, use only the cleaning products designed specifically for laminate floors.
- Never use wax, oil-based detergent, or any other household cleaners on the floor. These may dull or damage the finish, leaving a greasy film and making the floor slippery and more difficult to clean.
- Do not use any type of Steam Cleaning Machine.
- Place natural fiber rugs at entry points to help trap grit and absorb moisture that may damage the finish.
- Dry mop or vacuum the floor on a regular basis to prevent abrasive dirt and dust from accumulating and scratching the finish.
- Wipe spills immediately. Be especially attentive to sink, dishwasher, stove tops and dining room which are more prone to harmful spill.
- Add felt pads to all furniture and chair legs to prevent damage to the floor. Replace the felt pads when dirty or worn. For extremely heavy objects, use wide non staining rubber cups.
- Protect your floor against direct sunlight or any intense source of artificial lighting as they can discolor the floors.